What Is Records Management?
Records Management can be defined as "The organisation and systematic control of a company’s records in order to meet operational business needs". A document needs to be managed from its receipt or creation all the way through to the disposal, this is often referred to as the Records Management Lifecycle which consists of 4 stages: active, semi-active, archival and disposal. Fellowes has a document management solution for every stage of a document's life.
The term “Records” can include, contracts, reports, correspondence orders and all other documentary materials, and can be in any format or media type, whether generated internally or received by an external organisation.
Bankers Box® offer a comprehensive range of storage solutions and to help you find the correct document management product there is a choice of category for you to browse including:
Storage Boxes, Transfer Files, Magazine Files, Storage Units, Moving Boxes, Mail and Ship and Portable Filing.
Why Is Records Management Necessary?
Information is a basic but vital business asset, Government legislations state that even the smallest companies are required to keep accurate records for certain periods of time (for accounts, audit, tax, pensions, health and safety purposes etc). Poor document and records management could result in being unable to locate these documents and could potentially lead to the loss of license to operate, fines, imprisonment and ultimately business failure, so it is vital that records are organised and stored correctly so that they are easily accessible when required.
The speed at which we gather and generate information has been greatly increased by technological advances consequently resulting in greater volumes of records. If not managed effectively this could lead to the duplication of records, retrieval effort, and increased storage costs. Establishing an effective document and records management program helps generate cost savings and supports more efficient operations.
How an Effective Records Management System Can Help You Improve on
- The systematic disposal of records will help to reclaim valuable office space and will prevent costly paper accumulation
- It will enable you to meet your legal and regulatory obligations more easily, safeguarding against potential breaches of corporate security
- Records will be categorised according to their subject matter, importance, and date, making them more reliable and easier to retrieve, saving valuable time
- Increased protection against accidental or premature records destruction
- Increased security of vital records or information in case of business disruption or disaster
- Ensure records are stored in the most appropriate format and medium
- It will help to avoid records being misfiled and minimise duplication
- It makes it easier to safely dispose of documents at the appropriate time
R-Kive by Fellowes offers a wide range of products to make records retention easy to manage. Many of these filing solutions are designed to ensure compatibility with lever arch files, transfer files
, ring binders and suspension files. In addition to storage boxes
, Fellowes also offers storage units
that can be stacked to save valuable space.
Our guide to choosing the correct storage solution
will help to ensure you select the products that best suit your filing and storage needs.
When it comes to transporting, accessing or archiving documents - choose R-Kive, the best in business.